Thursday 29 September 2011

Keeping up with the Joneses, genomics style

23andMe just launched their new programme to perform exome sequencing for individuals. The Exome80 "Personal exome sequencing" will cost just $999! This will now put pressure on some of those who have had their genomes scanned on arrays to pay up for the exome or risk being the social outcast in California high society. In fact 23andMe state on their website "Most excitingly, you'll be a trailblazer, one of the first people on the planet to know their personal exome sequence" that's hamming things up if ever I heard it.

The previous service (which I just signed up to) only scans 1M SNPs. The exome sequencing will provide users sequence data over about 50 million bases of DNA at 80 fold coverage. There will not be any of the very well designed reports that are given with SNP data though, just sequences and variants. This means only those with the skills to access this data will get anything useful out of it and it is debatable what 'useful' means in this context. There is certainly not the same depth of information available on exome variants and linkage to disease.

It sounds like 23andMe will develop tools and so will the community. I expect the Genomes Unzipped team will all be in the first batch of samples, hopefully paid for by 23adndMe. Most of these, if not all, are already customers who are "comfortable managing and understanding raw genetic data" as stated on the 23andMe press release. The release also assays "If you don't know your exons from your introns, this pilot is probably not for you,". I think most undergrads know about exons and introns and they certainly could not do a huge amount with raw data.

This could of course be a great opportunity for a grad school programme to develop tools and interpretations as the data could be shared out across classes.

23andMe's description of what an exome is fails to mention regulatory sequences at all. While they do say "you can think of the exome as the DNA sequence of your genes" and "Your entire genome is made up of your exome plus...DNA that does not code for proteins".The dropping of regulation may seem trivial to a lay person but is becoming increasingly important for biologists. Where are the regulome capture products!

PS: if anyone from 23andMe is reading this and wants to send me an early birthday present my DNA is ready for sequencing on my desk. Courtesy of an Oragene freebie at a conference. It's amazing what you can pick up for free nowadays.

3 comments:

  1. the price will be $999 not $99, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that this genome sequencing is a little expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHEN ALL HOPES IS LOST MEDICALLY TO THE CURE OF MY HERPES THE ONLY AWAITING SOLUTION I NEVER KNEW IS DR OGUDU SPELL TEMPLE. FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL SHARING MY PREVIOUS HOPE IN MEDICAL CURE AS A SOLUTION TO YOUR CURE SHOULD STOP SEARCHING AND GO TO DR.OGUDU FOR INSTANT CURE. CONTACT HIM NOW WITH THE FOLLOWING DETAILS EMAIL ADDRESS [OGUDUSPELLTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM] WHATSAAPP NUMBER +2348106058254 Website---http://oguduspelltemple.wixsite.com/drogudu


    Am COREY ANN from URUGUAY i was suffering from genital herpes, oral herpes, shingles. Before i came in contact with dr.ogudu
    It is no longer news that the Acquired immune deficiency syndrome Herpes Virus is increasing by the day, The fear is that many people living with the sickness are scared of saying it because of the stigma that comes along with it.I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it.I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications, In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the voodoo world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, because I heard that the African Voodoo Priests had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr.Ogudu website who offered to help me, He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Two days ago to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that " I am NEGATIVE" You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Voodoo Priest via this EMAIL [OGUDUSPELLTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM] WHATASPP NUMBER +2348106058254

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.