Wednesday 9 November 2016

Unintended consequences of NGS-base NIPT?

The UK recently approved an NIPT test to screen high risk pregnancies for foetal trisomy 21, 13, or 18 after the current primary screening test, and in place of amniocentesis (following on from the results of the RAPID study). I am 100% in favour of this kind of testing and 100% in favour of individuals, or couples, making the choice of what to do with the results. But what are the consequences of this kind of testing and where do we go in a world where cfDNA foetal genomes are possible?


I decided to write this post after watching "A world Without Downs", a documentary on BBC2 that was presented by Sally Phillips (of Bridget Jones fame), mother to Olly who has Down's syndrome. She presented a program where the case for the test was made (just), but the programme was very clearly pro-Down's. Although not quite to the point of being anti-choice.

My own personal experience of Down's is limited, and I'd watched the documentary more out of excitement to see how NGS is being rolled out across the NHS; particularly because the same technology is being applied in Cancer and is likely to transform patient treatment. My view before watching was that this new NIPT test could only be a good thing. The program made me see that there are likely to be unintended consequences of this kind of testing, and that there may be darker sides to the use of the technology. It made me think more carefully about the issue, but in the end I'm still 100% in favour of the test.

Unintended consequences of cell-free DNA testing in have been reported previously, with the discovery of cancer in an expectant mum first reported in 2013. How we deal with these issues is a matter of ongoing debate. For Down's the program highlighted the negative way expectant mothers and fathers are given the news that they may have a Down's child; and that better information can only lead to a more informed choice - not difficult to agree with that. Unfortunately the program can't escape it's Herodotian title. This test won't lead to "A world Without Downs", but how people use the information might.

I'd highlighted the program on Twitter after watching it. And posted again after reading an article in the Guardian "Fears over new Down's syndrome test may have been exaggerated, warns expert" where Prof Sir David Spiegelhalter was quoted as saying that terminations would not go up - based on the current models being used. I did not disagree with his stats (I'd be crazy to do that), but models can be wrong, and that was the basis of my Tweet.

The main argument from Phillips in the program is that this test will result in more terminations, and that means fewer people being born with Down’s syndrome. She visited Iceland, which she stated has not had a Down's syndrome child born in the last 5 years. This is surprising as I'd expect a country like Iceland to have a testing regime with as many false-negatives as anyone else - a few Down's children should have been born...and data from the WHO seem to suggest this is indeed the case.



Ultimately even if 100% of parents did choose to abort after receiving test results, as long as they were well informed before making their decision, then we've done the right thing. Haven't we?

Trisomies 13, 18 and 21 are the only things tested for right now. But the underlying technology could ultimately use whole genome sequencing and find the full spectrum of genetic abnormalities: such as an increased risk of psoriasis, glaucoma, and Alzheimer's. If my mum had decided these were not traits she wanted her baby to have I'd not be writing this blog.

6 comments:

  1. I believe the NHS statistics were that they expected the increase in terminations to be about ½ the number of amnioencetis induced miscarriages adding up to an increase in number of babies. (I was going to write healthy but the whole point of the documentary was the claim that Downs children are not unhealthy) This highlights an ongoing issue as we test for more and more genetic disease - what is the penetrance, clearly some Downs children are significantly affected whilst others are fully capable of an independent active life. The argument is that we may abort a significant number of what would have been healthy children. And at this point it all becomes a personal beliefs issue - me I have no problem with people aborting a fetus, they can always make another baby , other people seem to think this is a terrible crime. So in many ways this is a pressing social question we aren't yet discussing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REUNITE YOUR MARRIAGE, RELATIONSHIP,SUCCESSFUL LOTTERY SPELL RESULTS, CURE ALL KINDS OF DISEASE AND WEAK ERECTION

      Stop asking for another chance, stop questioning what you could have done differently, and – most importantly – stop second-guessing your own self-worth. Once you Come Back To My Spell is performed, the balance of desire will shift and your lover will be begging you to take him or her back. This Love Spell Could Work For You!Bring back the good times. Think about the happiest time in your relationship, and i can make it happen again. You deserve to be happy.

      Are you looking for ultimate spells that works effectively same time on your problems, ranges from Love spells, marriage spells, and carrier related problems, witchcraft spells, charms, portion, talismans, magical oils / powders, protection, legal court cases, business prosperity spell, Gay and lesbian extreme love / attraction spells, women of the night Norton accruing powders and oil for extreme ecstasy and protection with in working ordeals.

      My powerful lottery spells, will bring you the huge wins, and jackpots you desire and need. I work my lottery spells, to bring great luck. The power of my lottery spells, works on you, so there are no special numbers needed to play, or certain patterns. Just play one ticket on the lottery of your choice, and the powerful lottery spell will handle the rest. Whether you play Power-ball, Mega Millions, daily drawings or sweepstakes. I have a powerful lottery spell, to help you. Working with my spirit guides, to clear bad luck, and infuse you with good luck and positive energy energy. The power of my lottery spells, brings luck, and wins fast. Clearing paths with-in the universe, for money and great luck to reach you. These powerful spell castings, will be successful in bringing the lottery wins, to change your life.

      Email: POTENTIALSPELLTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM

      OR


      POTENTIALSPELLTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM

      Delete
  2. Appreciation is the key to doing more that is why I have took some time out to thank some one who cured me of my 2 years HEPATITIS B problem. It became a major problem to me as it was affecting my marital life and I was no longer comfortable so I decided to look for a solution and I came across a post of Dr Ariba and how he has been helping people of the same problem I contacted him and told him all I have been facing in my life. He told me how to get his product and how to take it after every thing I find out that all was now okay with me and that my HEPATITIS B problem was gone that is why I have come out today to say thank you to him . if you need cure for HIV/AIDS, Herpes, cancer or diabetes of all types you can contact his email draribaspelltemple@gmail.com OR draribasolutioncenter@yahoo.com
    Whatsapp: +2348140439497

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Name is Abigail, and am really grateful and thankful for what Dr. ARIBA has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/ AIDS for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and cause I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. if you need his help of you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email draribaspelltemple@gmail.com or dr.aribasplltemple@outlook.com,Whatsapp;+2348140439497 and get your healing. He has cure for other deadly diseases like Diabetes, Herpes, Hepatitis of all types and Cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for online Help with Editing a Qualitative Research Design Paper before I landed on this page and although I did not find what I was looking for, I have learned a lot from the article and the comments posted by other online users and I will be bookmarking this site so that I can visit it during my free time to read both new and old articles.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.